Falafel is one of my favorite ways to increase my Meatless Monday options. They are made out of chickpeas and packed with protein that will keep you full. Plus? They are delicious.
I stumbled upon a falafel burger recipe a few weeks ago, and I fell in love.
For the falafel burger you will need onions, garlic cloves, lemon, olive oil, chickpeas, salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, black pepper, all-spice, and breadcrumbs. For the sauce, you will need tahini paste (ground sesame seed paste), lemon, garlic cloves, salt, and olive oil.
You're going to need a food processor to make the patty mixture and sauce, but I totally just used a blender. I'm sure you can even use a kitchen aid stand mixer if you're feeling fancy.
Start by chopping the onions and throwing them into your mixing device.
Seriously the largest garlic cloves I've ever seen.
Give them a rough chop, or seven, like so.
Then add the following ingredients to you're mixing device: chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, and seasoning. Be careful not to add more than half of the water from the chickpeas, because that will give you a smoothie. Yikes!
Scoop out the falafel mix into a rather large bowl, because this will make about 8-10 patties depending on how you round them off. Add half of the breadcrumbs and stir until the mixture because a little stiff, so that you can shape them into patties, like the picture above. Depending on how much water you added to the blending process, you may want to use more or less breadcrumbs to reach your desired stiffness.
Time To Make Some Patties
1. Grab a portion of the falafel mixture and shape it until it becomes a patty. I like to go big or go home, so I obviously made patties that were bigger than my face. 2. Drench the patties in breadcrumbs on both sides. You can totally skip this step, but I liked the crispiness it gave the patties. 3. Cook each patty in some olive oil for 2-4 minutes on both sides, or until it becomes golden/brown. 4. Voila. A Falafel Burger is born.
Top your falafel burger with cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and the tahini sauce. You can pretty much add whatever toppings satisfy your burger-tastebuds at this point. Don't forget to dig in!
Falalfel Burger Recipe
For the falafel burgers:
- Chop onions and garlic and throw them into a mixing device with lemon juice, olive oil, chickpeas, and seasonings.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl with 1/2 of the breadcrumbs and mix until firm.
- Form patties and then dip into leftover breadcrumbs on both sides.
- Heat a skillet with some olive oil and cook on 2-4 minutes on each side, or until falafel burger is golden brown.
- Serve with buns and toppings of your choice.
For the Tahini paste:
- Add ingredients for tahini paste into a blender and blend until creamy. Serve with your falafel burger.
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1 cup of onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. all-spice
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs, divided
For the Tahini Paste
- 1/4 cup ground sesame paste (tahini)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt to taste