Black Bean Burgers Recipe
My best friend visited last week and since she's vegetarian, I thought I'd try to make another vegetarian burger recipe while she was here.
I have a soft spot for burgers.
In fact, I always told myself that I could never become a vegetarian because I would miss eating burgers too much.
But then I started trying burgers made of beans instead of meat and they taste just as good, if not better.
Vegan Black Bean Burgers Recipe
I only used a handful of ingredients to create this recipe– most of which I'm sure you probably have on hand already.
Go ahead and check your pantry!
One thing I will recommend is that you try this black bean burgers recipe with a chipotle dressing.
I used Kraft Chipotle Mayo.
You can always make your own if you'd like. Or try a dressing of your liking.
However, the chipotle sauce really does enhance the overall taste and makes these burgers taste more festive.
To give these black bean burgers the texture they had, I added the black beans mixed from the food processor with whole black beans, and this helped the burgers keep their shape while cooking.
They also give the burgers the wholesome aspect that I enjoy.
To make this black bean burgers recipe vegan, all you'll need to do is replace the 1 egg I used in the original recipe with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of Flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water.
This will act as a binder to hold your burgers in shape.
To make these burgers gluten free, simply toast two pieces of gluten free bread and then toss them in a food processor until they are blended into breadcrumbs and then toss that into the burger mix. You can also use whatever gluten free bun substitute you'd like as well.
Voila! Completely adaptable.
When I first made this black bean burgers recipe, I grilled the burgers in a pan with some light canola oil spray.
This gave the burgers that nice brown color you see above, keeping the outside crispy and the inside soft.
However, because I found that process took a longer time, I decided to just bake them in the oven instead.
I was able to make about 12 burgers, place them on a sheet, pop them in the oven and forget about them until the timer went off when they ready to be flipped.
This saved me time from unnecessary time wasted slaving over the stove.
I've had these burgers once a week for the past couple of weeks and my siblings are enjoying them just as much as I am.
I hope you enjoy this recipe too and let me know if you give them a try!
Vegan Black Bean Burger Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
- In a food processor, blend the onion and garlic together until they form a paste.
- Rinse the black beans and add 1/2 of the black beans to the food processor along with the salt, black pepper, cilantro, parsley, and egg.
- Mix on lowest speed until the mixture is blended together.
- In a large bowl, combine the mixture and the remaining black beans as well as the breadcrumbs and mix until it forms a nice sticky texture.
- Spray a sheet pan with canola oil and then form your patties and place them on the pan.
- Cook for 15 minutes on one side, and then flip the burgers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of buns, dressing, and toppings.
- 3 cans of black beans
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of parsley chopped
- 1 tablespoon of cilantro chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 egg * (see notes)
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs