Super Simple Sugar Cookies Recipe
My younger sister has been baking up a storm this entire week in honor of Valentine’s Day.
One of her most requested orders were her chocolate covered strawberries and Valentine’s Day sugar cookies.
These sugar cookies are not only delicious, they’re adorable and easy to make too!
For this super simple sugar cookies recipe, be sure to continue reading!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Sugar Cookies Recipe
What I love about her sugar cookies recipe is that you only need a handful of ingredients to make the perfect batch of sugar cookies. All of which I’m sure you already have on hand, too!
Once your dough is ready to be rolled out, you’ll need to make sure you have a decent amount of flour spread on your counter. If the dough gets stuck to the countertop, you’ll have a hard time scrapping up the pieces and it just gets messy! Avoid all of that with a well-floured counter. Trust me!
We found these heart shaped cookie cutters on Amazon.
When you roll the dough out, you’ll also want to make sure it’s not too thick or too thin. Remember that these cookies will slightly rise in the oven while cooking, but you’ll want to keep the dough around one to two inches in height.
Line your cookie sheet with wax paper and then carefully place the sugar cookies on top. Make sure they have enough room in between each other. These cookies will not spread out much while cooking.
Now comes the fun part– decorating!
The sugar cookies recipe calls for royal icing to decorate. To get the different shades of pink, just mix white royal icing or red royal icing to get your desired shade.
You can also use Wilton icing tips for decorating the lines and letters onto your sugar cookies as well.
For the rest of the cookies, we used pink sugar sprinkles onto of the royal icing and I think these turned out so nicely!
This sugar cookies recipe is not only great for Valentine’s Day, but any occasion as well as it’s completely customizable. Depending on the cutters you have, you can ultimately make whatever kind of design you want.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you give a try.
Sugar Cookies Recipe
Yield: 18 cookies
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 15
Total Time: 30
- 1 cup butter toom temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg, vanilla extract, butter, and granulated sugar.
- In a large separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the wet ingredients (egg, butter, sugar, vanilla mixture) to the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder).
- Mix until your dough starts forming. When your dough forms a ball and doesn't stick to the edges of the bowl, then your dough is ready.
- Cover the dough and let it stand for about 5 minutes.
- Section the dough into pieces you can work with, pour some flour on your countertop, and then roll out the dough into 1"-2" thickness.
- Using your cookie cutters, cut the dough into your desired shapes and place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated 350F degree oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool on the counter for about 15 minutes before decorating.
- Using royal icing, decorate the cookies to your likings.